BOTOX® has been used safely and successfully for wrinkle therapy since its 2002 FDA cosmetic approval. Botox Cosmetic, the proven wrinkle relaxer to soften and reduce frown lines, help lift brows and smooth crow's feet is now
used for many other beauty treatments.
What can BOTOX® Cosmetic be used for?
- Frown or Worry Lines
- Periorbital Wrinkles (Crow's Feet)
- Bunny Lines
- Brow Lift
- Brow Asymmetry
- Drooping Mouth Corners
- Enlarged Masseter (Jaw) Muscle
- Vertical Lip Wrinkles
- Platysma Stranding ("Neck Banding")
- Hyperhidrosis - Severe Underarm Sweating
What are the overall advantages of using BOTOX®?
- Temporarily reduces wrinkles without surgery
- No sedation or anesthesia is needed
- Reduces horizontal creases in forehead. Reduces frown lines.
- Minimizes the look of crow's feet and laugh lines.
- Effects are customizable
- Some patients report they no longer get migraine headaches
How does Botox work?
A few drops of BOTOX® are injected with a tiny needle into the muscle that creates a wrinkle. When BOTOX® is injected into a muscle, it blocks the nerve impulse from reaching that area, and as a result, the muscle weakens. As the muscle
weakens, the skin overlying the muscle relaxes and the wrinkles in the skin gradually soften and often disappear. BOTOX® treatment does not affect normal facial expressions.
Botox temporarily blocks the signals that would normally tell your muscles to contract. If a specific muscle can't move, it can't cause a wrinkle and, in most cases, wrinkles are nearly invisible in a week.
- We will administer several tiny injections of BOTOX® Cosmetic directly into the areas you wish treated.
- The location of the injections will be determined by examining your ability to move certain muscles in the selected area. The location, size, and use of the muscles vary markedly among individuals.
- No anesthesia is required, discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Most people compare the sensation to a pin prick and treatment takes only a few minutes.
- You may see a marked improvement within 7 to 10 days. Improvement may continue for as long as several months, and could last up to 3 months*. Each patient has a different response. After that, the muscle
action returns. When frown lines reappear, a repeat treatment is necessary to regain the results. * Results vary from patient to patient.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects of BOTOX® are minimal, with slight discomfort upon injection of the solution. This may be minimized by the use of a numbing cream one hour prior to the injection. Bruising at the sight of injection may occur. One percent
of patients develop a slight lowering or ptosis of one eyelid and, also rarely, asymmetry of facial expression. These effects are temporary.
How frown lines and crow's feet are formed
Frown lines are the dynamic wrinkles between the brows caused by the contraction of corrugator and/or procerus muscles. Crow's feet are the wrinkles around your eyes caused by smiling and squinting.
Movement of corrugator, procerus and orbicularis oculi muscles can cause the skin between the brows and around the eyes to crease. As skin becomes less elastic over time, repeated contraction of these muscles may create visible lines
Men are becoming equal fans of BOTOX®, too. Erasing frown and worry lines give a more assured appearance and a special added psychological benefit. Seeing yourself "look" less stressed or angry actually triggers more positive emotions.